Thursday, December 31, 2009

Wife of Noble Character

Hey, my favorite mamas in the whole wide world!

My kids are tucked away in their beds, my in-laws are in their pj's, and we just stuck on an old movie, "Rat Race." Anyone remember that one?? HAA! If you've seen it, then you'll chuckle. If not, then maybe someday you'll Netflix it and enjoy the hilarity of it! It's about people racing to find a treasure and all their blunders along the way. It's probably so funny because we all feel like that at one point or another! :)

Obviously, this is the totally appropriate time to write on Proverbs 31. Hee! So bear with me as I ramble a bit...but it will all make sense in the end. Promise!

Proverbs 31:10-31...A Wife of Noble Character

Who doesn't want to be this? Seriously. I love the title of this passage.

This is not the wife OF A NOBLE. If it was then we'd all have an "out" for taking this to heart, because in the USA, there are no Nobles. But instead, this is a wife that has and acts with a NOBLE character. (And if you attend Titus 2 Bible study, you'll recall the chain of changing oneself...thoughts produce feelings, feelings produce actions, actions produce habits, habits produce character. A Noble Character.)

And unfortunately, this noble character is not dependent of her husband and his character. This passage doesn't say, "She is noble because HE is noble..." or "She is noble only when HE is noble." Nope. I know. Like an arrow to your heart and mine.

So prepare yourself and your heart. Take away your feelings, thoughts, emotions about your marriage and your hubby...and for once, take a deep breath, strip your pride and excuses, and just be you. Because we're all in the same boat: well-meaning, imperfect, emotional, temperamental, tired, struggling to keep it all together when circumstances are normal...and falling apart when circumstances go against us.

Trust me. I'm there. And I write this with a heart humbled by my inability to be a wife of Noble character...and I am challenged just the same as you!

So, I read through these verses in November 2004 (whenever I underline verses in my Bible, I mark the date and place I was when I read it...I know. Neurotic. But sometimes very cool!) and ended up circling all the descriptive words of this Noble wife in all the verses.

Here's just the brief list of what she does and who she is:

virtuous
capable
trustworthy
enriches others
aids husband
finds supplies and makes them into things
brings necessary things to her home
gets up early
goes to bed late
prepares for her family
energetic
strong
hard worker
savvy with money
helps those in need
has no fear of the future
dresses well
is an entrepreneur
dignified
laughs without fear
words of wise
kind when giving instructions
carefully watches all that goes on in her household
is not lazy
productive

I know...I'm exhausted just listing them!

But here are the results: (v. 28-29) "Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: 'There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!' "

v. 30-31 "Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise."

So, as you consider your goals for this new year...or maybe just the new month, choose ONE you can work on. One, preferably, that you do not already possess. For I know you all very well, and I would say that all of you posses many of this qualities already!

As a disclaimer, let me just say that there is no way any of us can be all of these things all the time, no more than we can earn our salvation through works without grace. We are not perfect, and will never be perfect. But that does not excuse us from trying.

Let me finish with Happy NEW Year! Remember...our thoughts produce feelings that produce actions that produce habits that produce character.

Love you much!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment