Friday, January 15, 2010

Pray, Obey, Repeat

Let me be the first to congratulate you on surviving the week and really putting the Lord first in your thoughts.

Five days, ladies, and to say I have not been challenged every day, would be a lie.

My intentions and my actions do NOT match, and I am working on self-control. Isn't that a fruit of the spirit?? Wouldn't it be lovely if my fruit tree actually grew self-control?! Haa! I am willing, the Lord is very willing. Let's just see if I can squash all the muck and reality that gets in the way of my willingness!

So thank you so much for going on this journey with me! If any of you have feedback, thoughts, ponderings, I'd love to hear them! Email, text, or call anytime!

One of my dearest friends in the whole world wrote me this yesterday, and I loved it. What I say in 10 paragraphs, she says in one!

"Rebecca – I saw a billboard yesterday that really spoke to my heart. It read, “your past may be stained but your future is spotless.” This gives me hope as I face a new day. I hold tight to a saying an old bible teacher said once, “Pray, obey, repeat”. These nuggets of truth are my inspiration. I am never going to be perfect. No matter what the mistakes I made yesterday or today, I have hope for a better tomorrow. "

Hope, girls! That's what it is all about. That is why we are doing this. Hope in a God who can make us better. Hope in He who is powerful enough to change our circumstances drastically, but wise enough to grow us through them. Hope that our lives will make a difference in those around us. And hope in the eternal life that awaits us with brilliance. Maybe that's why the saying goes, "Hope springs eternal."

Proverbs 15: The Tongue...

Yes, we're back to this topic after Proverbs 13. But I think, again, our words impact our world so much!

1 A gentle answer deflects anger,
but harsh words make tempers flare.

**My Study Bible just said, "Have you ever tried to argue in a whisper? It is equally hard to argue with someone who insists on answering gently. On the other hand, a rising voice and harsh words almost always trigger an angry response. To turn away wrath and seek peace, choose gentle words."

So true! To take it one step farther, why do we argue? Most of the time it's because we're trying to make our point known. But if we can't convey that point without bringing on a fight with our spouse, then we need to sit back and wait. Wait until that urge goes away and we can have self-control when discussing the issue.

2 The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing,
but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness.

**We have the ability to make His knowledge, His words appealing to others through the words WE choose. How's that for powerful? If we choose the right words, it draws others to want to know Him. I don't think we ever want to get in the way of that. And what if those others were our children?

4 Gentle words are a tree of life;
a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.

23 Everyone enjoys a fitting reply;
it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time!

**And we know when we've actually done this. You can feel it all the way down to your soul. Why we don't do the all the time? I believe it all roots back to selfishness (included in that is pride, arrogance, overbearingness, control, even unbridled sadness for no comprehensive reason...just being sad for attention).

28 The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking;
the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words.

**Key word..."thinks." What mountains we would move if we just thought about what came out of our mouth and really examined those words closely? Seriously! Like an arrow to my heart!

In my study Bible it gives the following definition of the Four Tongues:

1. The Controlled Tongue: Those with this speech pattern thing before speaking, know when silence is best, and give wise advise.

2. The Caring Tongue: Those that speak truthfully while seeking to encourage.

3. The Conniving Tongue: Those that are filled with wrong motives, gossip, slander, and a desire to twist truth.

4. The Careless Tongue: These are filled with lies, curses, quick-tempered words, which can lead to rebellion and destruction.

This weekend think about which tongue you will enable as you deal particularly with your hubby and kiddos. I will do the same...

If there has been wrong done because of your words this week, then seek to resolve those issues before Sunday.

Remember, being "right" does not always lead to happiness, peace, or joy. My need to be right can destroy my home, my marriage, my relationships. Instead, seek to reconcile with your "person of interest" and put their interests higher than your own. This is a challenge for me because I definitely have some humble apologies to make to the ones I love. Too bad my words aren't always loving!

Much love mamas!!

Have a great weekend! "See" you Monday!

R

No comments:

Post a Comment